Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Duncan and Urban Roots

Thought I would take a moment to reflect on a couple of experiences from last week and this week. First, I can't get over the moment during our trip when the SUV pulled up next to us blasting some serious rap music.. only to be outdone by our very own sustainability coordinator. It still makes me laugh to think about... in fact... I'm laughing now. The power of humor!

On a more serious note - I watched Urban Roots last night and was very inspired to see a movie essentially filmed about people coming together to make something out of nothing. Many of the people they had on the film were impoverished, had little education, and some were criminals, but they all came together over their gardens. As we talked about... this shows a situation where there really is no other option for these people, but I was very much so encouraged to see that humans can rise above unfortunate circumstances to make something positive happen. If these people can do it, then is there a reason why we cant?

1 comment: