Saturday, July 27, 2013

Thursday Market and Community

This last Thursday Barbara took us down to the market because she was guest manager for the week. It was amazing to see the amount of people who have been impacted by Barbara and so many people had great things to say about her. I knew she was fantastic, but this really showed me that people pay attention to the hard work you do. Having said that, I want to take a moment to thank all of you for a great experience. Duncan and Collin you both have done a great job running this considering that it is the first year. Our resident professors have been fantastic and really helpful throughout the discussions, so thank you both. As for the other interns, I have learned a lot from being around each of you and have generally had a good time.

While at the market I saw the new Vice President for Institutional Advancement, Dave Ostrander. I had the chance to have lunch with him when he was going through the hiring process and was excited when I found out that he was hired. I approached him and introduced myself, in case he had forgotten me. He had not. I was really excited to see him at the market because it showed that he either cared about local, sustainable food, or he was trying to get to know his new community. Whichever it was (or both) I think it is great that a new administrator at Linfield College took time out of his day to do this. It has made me think about the way I would want to engage with my community if I was in a new place. It is usually easy to sit back and not open up to new people around you, but hopefully food can be a way to break down some of these walls.

The high tunnel has been amazing to work on and I cant wait to see what happens with it. I'm glad my experience will be stretching into the fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment