Sunday, July 7, 2013

High Tunnel, limitations, personal growth

It is crazy to think that we are already half way through the internship. It really does seem like it just started. I can't describe how excited I am to start on the high tunnel with Mr. Varnell. I think we are going to have a great time and learn a lot. I was doing research on the types of foods that people grow in high tunnels and this just gets me excited to try and do well! I'm hoping that I come out of the project with a better understanding of the steps and processes one must go through when starting crops from scratch.

I will explain more about the following topic tomorrow (Monday), but I had a bit of an accident last Friday and am recovering from a laceration in my hand/wrist on my right hand. This is definitely going to be a challenge, but I am hopeful that it won't hinder me all that much in the coming weeks. If anything, having accidents can open ones eyes as to the fortune of being able to have two legs, two arms, two hands, etc.

Going off of the personal growth that I'm hoping to achieve from working on the high tunnel... I think it is appropriate for me to express and reflect on what I have gotten from this internship thus far. When we all went through interviews I expressed that I have had limited hands on experience with farm work and I wanted to gain this. Not only has this happened, but many of my philosophies and future plans have changed because of the experiences I have had this summer. I never even thought about starting my own garden, growing food, or the wide reaching implications of our food system. Obviously, I had given these topics some consideration, but our discussions have really opened my eyes in regards to many of the deeper problems and contradictions of our food system. For example, buying organic doesn't necessarily mean no pesticides/herbicides (as I previously thought) and organic products don't translate into social justice for farm workers. The different dynamics continue to blow my mind. I feel very grateful and fortunate to be working with and a component of something so special!

No comments:

Post a Comment